Monday, July 1, 2013

ROW80 Round 3: My Goals

Last week I was chatting with author-friend JR Pearse Nelson about our ROW80 Round 3 goals. She was feeling a little bit stressed about balancing writing goals and life this summer, and I spouted some classic Brookeish "all things in moderation" wisdom. In retrospect, JR might have been looking for a cheerleader. Unfortunately I'm feeling the "hey man, it's summer" vibe, so I wasn't going to recommend mountain climbing.

That said, as I was pondering my goals this weekend, I ironically decided to take on a slightly more intense goal this summer:

2,000 words a week

I know that's not a whole lot, especially compared to those of you who can pop out 2,000 words a day. But it's almost double my goal from last round, which was 1,200 words a week. I usually achieved that goal; sometimes I even blew it out of the water.

Last week, for instance, I actually wrote 6,5000+ words. Wowza!

I finished up most of the outline for my WIP during last week's writing sprint. There are a couple of scenes at the end of the story which are still just skeleton outlines, but they are the we're-in-love-smoochy-smoochy scenes, so I'm not worried about how those will flow; I can outline them whenever the mood strikes. Or just write it pantser style.

I was so motivated by finishing my outline last week -- it totals about 22,000 words -- that I worked on the opening scene of the novel. I added about 4,000 words to it. Hopefully today I will finish that scene and move on.

So there you have it! A moderate goal for this round. I'll be checking in once a week and making my way to other blogs when I can. May you all ROW well (and live)!

3 comments:

  1. I find that the more I write, the more I write. You know? Setting goals a little higher each time is an excellent way to challenge yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2,000 words a week sounds like a great goal! And congratulations on getting the outline finished. Looking forward to reading more about your progress this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You finished an outline! I'm in awe! I am trying to outline and it's not coming naturally...so you definitely rock. As for your weekly word goal, it's higher than mine so you are not allowed to feel badly about it! Lol! In fact, it's sort of nice to see someone posting about goals a little closer to my grasp than some of the power-house 2K words a day people. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete