Sunday, July 14, 2013

Weird Week

What a weird week.

Monday was a normal day. Good, even. I got three things checked off my home-remodeling to-do list, and managed to squeeze out about 750 new words. It was going to be such a great week.

Tuesday morning I got up feeling strong and inspired; a real take-on-the-world attitude. Then I looked at my cell phone and read a text message that sent my whole world spinning sideways. There had been a medical emergency in the family on late Monday night.

The next three days were a blur of tears and prayers, and talking and driving. It was hard to sleep. Even though I was physically with my family the whole week, I feel like I wasn't really here. Mentally I was consumed by the news and events unfolding with my extended family.

By late Thursday afternoon, I needed a break. A real break. An escape. So when I put my daughter to bed for the night, I turned to my novel. I sat down and wrote and wrote and wrote for about three hours, ignoring the need to pee and any other thoughts. By the time I was done (aka too exhausted to continue), I had written some 3,700 words. It was unreal.

Friday morning I wanted to write, but had to wait until the afternoon. Saturday afternoon I got a bit of time, too.

By the end of the day yesterday, my word count total for the week was more than 6,500. My WIP is nearly 37,000 words long. The first 9 scenes are written; I'm halfway through scene 10. (There are 36 in all.)

It was a difficult week, but I'm grateful that I was able to hide away in the comfort of my very own make-believe world for a little while.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. And now...if you need to rest, you need to rest, woman. It can be cathartic to disappear utterly into your make-believe world for a while, but remember to take care of real life Brooke. I know you'll find the balance. Best wishes for a calm and nurturing week to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, *hugs*. I'm sorry to hear you got terrible news. It's great that you were able to channel everything into your writing - that is a fantastic word count! - but don't forget to also take time out to relax and rejuvenate. Best of luck for the coming week.

    ReplyDelete